Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What a day!

Today was a very eventful day. The day started off as usual with assembly and English period. Nothing unusual happened, so I won’t go into details. During science we had to go to the lab to do some experiment, and we had to bring our practical books along with us. I assumed that my book was in the locker and ran to get it. Meanwhile the monitor, Caleb, locked up the class. Upon reaching the locker I realized that I had left my book in my bag as it was not in the locker. I had no choice but to climb up to the sixth floor (where the science lab is), collect the key, run down again, unlock the class, take out my book and run up again. I tried to do this as quickly as possible to avoid missing the lesson and as a result felt quite tired and irritated with myself. What’s more, I managed to miss about 5 minutes of the lesson and ended up getting paired up with another guy (normally I pair up with my science lab partner Kavin) who I didn’t know well. Also, as a result, I missed the experiment briefing and could not fully grasp the lesson what I was supposed to do. Oh well. It served me right for being so careless. The morals of this story are: Don’t assume and don’t be careless. Oh, by the way, we did an experiment on osmosis using potato strips. I think one person actually ate a bit of raw potato.

Anyway, we had recess after science, followed by Chinese. Our Chinese teacher set up this group system in which the group with the least points has to write THREE essays during the holidays and the second last group has to write one essay (with the exception of the group leaders) I think that my group might be the second last. We might be able to catch up with the third last group though. However the last group is lagging and they have about negative 5 points, so I think the chances of us becoming last are quite slim. Anyway even if my group does have to write essays, I will be exempted as I am the group leader.

After Chinese class we had history. Our history teacher is Mr. Thiru. He’s quite funny and usually shows us some videos and other stuff after his lessons, but today he briefed us on our history project and showed us a video on the battle of Somme (FYI it was a major battle in the first world war between the French and the British. The latter suffered heavy losses due to the incompetence of the commanding officers. ) (FYI means for your information) By the way, did you notice that I have added a youtube viewer at the bottom of my blog? I suggest you search this: the man with no arms and no legs. It is extremely touching and inspiring.

After lunch, we had RSP (regional studies program) today was the secondary one orientation, and we were supposed to plan the whole thing. There were supposed to be a group of leaders, but due to communication error, lack of proper planning and teamwork, the whole thing nearly fell apart and was disorganized (or, as we as students like to call it, ‘screwed up’) I bear no ill intent nor harbour grudges against them, nor am I criticising them. I was not told what to do and ended up helping Wayne in the traditional music station.

On a whole the secondary ones were well-behaved but there were a few black sheep. One student, when given an instrument to try, refused to play it (he stated this in a more colourful way than which I have just described) but according to the teacher he had some problems (for want of a better word-I cannot think of any nicer way to put this in) so I guess I’m okay with that. Another guy walked up to me and told me in an irritated voice that the whole thing was a screw-up. He said this in an impatient, irritated tone and glared at me, as though I was responsible for the whole thing. I was quite irritated with him and ignored him. While I agreed with him, I feel that he should not have been so direct and blunt. I wouldn’t mind listening to him if he had said it in a more respectful and less arrogant tone. Anyway, I was busy and he was not helping matters, so I ignored him. Some other secondary one students were quite obnoxious and arrogant (in my opinion) I wonder if my classmates and I were anything like these guys when we were in secondary one.

After the whole thing we were called together and told-off (nicely) by our RSP teachers. I think that we could have done this better had we bothered to invest more time and effort. I was sort of disappointed that we had left our juniors with a negative impression. Hopefully we will be able to make it up to them.

Anyway I’ve got to sign off now. I still haven’t studied for Chinese spelling tomorrow and it’s very late. I don’t know if I should still study or not. Sigh, what a day…..

Yours truly,
Joel.

No comments:

Post a Comment